Welcome to the Bella Signature Design Blog!

We are so happy that you came to visit our blog! Bella Signature Design focuses on creating a custom, stylish event that is highly personal, with details that synergistically come together to create an atmosphere that is a direct reflection of you. My passion, as a designer, is to infuse your event with all the little things that speak to who you are, and to share that with your guests in a stylish, unexpected way. Our blog will be changing in the next few weeks to reflect our vision and our passion, so hang on for the ride and enjoy!

Feel free to peruse the posts, look in our archives for some great advice and be sure to leave comments on what you like. We love hearing from you!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tricks of the Trade: Tarnished Silver

We've had a lot of requests for some "Tips and Tricks" of the trade here at Bella Signature Design, so in addition to some of our "behind the scenes" peeks, we thought it would be fun to add this to our repertoire of posts. While preparing for next weekends wedding, I realized that the silver containers I planned on using were quite tarnished. Now, I only use real metal containers - I just don't like the look and feel of the 'silver' plastic ones, they just look and feel fake to me. I like the weight and feel of the real thing, even if they do tarnish over time. Although a little hint of tarnish may give them 'character,' these beauties were beyond character!
I remembered a product I had used on pans to get of the tarnish, a product back from my bartending days....

I was a bit skeptical, but "voila!" the silver bowls came out shiny and happy. (as was I!)

I love it when a product works even better than expected! Even better, you can pick it up at at hardware store, and sometime even at larger grocery stores, and it's usually less than $2.00!
Woo-hoo!
For best results, I make a paste out of the powder from the can, using a bit of water. Make sure it is pasty, not runny, or it doesn't work as well. Scrub it all over the container, which will become a it hazy. Next, take a clean towel, and polish - and your container will shine shine shine!
Daniela

2 comments:

whitney | brown sugar design May 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Great tip - I'll have to try that out on a silver platter we have that's looking particularly sad.

Alison May 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

Hi!! Wanted to stop in and let you know your blog looks great. Great, UNIQUE, idea for tricks of the trade :)